Our policies are designed to help you succeed.

Note: The KPSAHS Academic Catalog is the primary publication for all KPSAHS policies impacting students. Some of these policies that are required by outside agencies or regulatory bodies have been highlighted below:


Credit Hours

KPSAHS awards one quarter credit for one hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work per week for didactic coursework. Laboratory, clinical courses, and online courses require an equivalent amount of work (three hours per week) for each quarter credit assigned.

Acceptance of Transfer Credit Policy

KPSAHS has established the Acceptance of Transfer Credit policy to provide maximum consideration for the individual student while maintaining the integrity of academic credit applied toward degree and certificate programs. The acceptance of transfer credit is based on two primary factors described below: eligibility of units for transfer and applicability of those credits to admissions criteria and/or degree or certificate requirements.

Eligibility of Transfer Units

Credits from U.S. Higher Education Institutions

Units must be earned at institutions approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE) and/or approved by a regional, national, or specialized accrediting body which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

Credits from Foreign Institutions

Transcripts from foreign institutions must be translated into English (if necessary) and evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Evaluation should include program level of study, credit hours (specifying quarter or semester credits), and GPA. Upon receipt of the official transcript, transcript translation, and transcript evaluation, KPSAHS will assess both the eligibility of units and applicability to an academic program as defined in this policy. The cost associated with any transcript evaluation is the responsibility of the student.


Coursework must be completed with a minimum grade of “C” or better. For transfer coursework applied to an academic program of study (but not in fulfillment of admissions prerequisites), a grade of “Credit” or “Pass” is also eligible for transfer credit.


Courses must be identified as college-level. Those courses which are not college-level are often referred to as “developmental” or “remedial” and are not eligible for transfer credit.

Military and Workplace Training (ACE)

Military and workplace training will be evaluated based on using the American Council of Education (ACE) recommendations for college credit. ACE credit may only be applied to upper-division coursework; it may not be used to fulfill program prerequisites.

Unit equivalencies

A course (or series of courses) may be accepted in lieu of a KPSAHS course or general education requirement provided it is an equivalent (or higher) number of units. To assess this, semester units will be converted to quarter units. Quarter units are equal to two-thirds (2/3) of a semester unit. Conversely, a semester unit is equal to one-and-a half (1-1/2) quarter units. Courses completed in clock hours will be converted to quarter credits using the formal that 30 clock hours are equivalent to one quarter credit.

Applicability of Transfer Credits

Applicability of Transfer Credits to Admissions Prerequisites

A course or series of courses completed in fulfillment of college-level admissions pre-requisites must be a minimum of three (3) semester or four (4) quarter credits and comparable in content to the KPSAHS prerequisite course descriptions, as published on kpsahs.org.

Applicability to Upper Division General Education Requirements

Coursework accepted for transfer to fulfill general education requirements are either accepted based on a common discipline (for example, social science) or course equivalencies. Refer to the general education requirements for additional detail. These requirements specify unit minimums in each general education area which must be met. Upper-division general education requirements must be fulfilled by courses completed at the upper-division level.

Applicability to Upper Division Major Course Requirements

Coursework accepted for transfer to fulfill major course requirements must be comparable to the nature, content, quality, and rigor of the KPSAHS major course. This means that units between the KPSAHS course and transfer course must be equivalent. Not all general education or major courses are eligible for transfer credit. A full listing of such courses is available on the Course Credit Inventory, available from Student Records staff.

Process for Evaluation of Transfer Credit

  • 1. Submit official transcripts to the Admissions or Student Records department. [To be considered official, these transcripts must remain in their sealed envelopes.] Foreign transcripts must also include transcript translation and evaluation.

  • 2. KPSAHS Admissions and/or Student Records staff will complete their transfer evaluation based upon generally available information; students may be asked to provide course catalogs or syllabi if needed.

  • 3. Courses accepted for transfer credit will be noted with a grade of TRAN on the student’s transcript of record and will not apply toward Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA). Exceptions include program pre-requisites for the Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Medical Sonography, and Radiographic Technology programs, which are not individually recorded on the student’s transcript.

Please read the Catalog to find more information regarding Policies.

Policy Resources